Instructions on dealing with a traffic accident abroad

Every time you exit the borders of R. of Macedonia, the possession of a Green Card for your vehicle is mandatory. The green card is an actual expansion of your automobile insurance policy outside the territory of R. of Macedonia. This means that if an accident happens causing damage to your vehicle while your vehicle is abroad, you are insured whether the fault of causing the accident is yours or not.

Thus, it is very important to know your rights and obligations, so that you know exactly what to do in case of an car accident abroad.

  • Help the injured and provide them with first aid.
  • Secure the scene of the accident and do not relocate your vehicle. Take photographs of the vehicles involved in the accident.
  • Call the police and ask for a copy of the police report after the police has finished their inspections.
  • If you are not guilty of causing the accident, you need to report the damage to the Green Card Bureau of the country in which the accident happened. You can find the telephone numbers of the Green Card Bureaus of all countries at the back side of the green card. After returning to R. of Macedonia, please notify your insurance company of the accident.
  • If you are guilty of causing the accident, you should give a copy of the green card to the injured party or to the police which does the inspections. After returning to Macedonia it is mandatory that you report the accident to the company which issued the green card, and fill in a written statement which objectively describes the details regarding the accident.
  • For additional assistance in reporting the damage and the right to compensation, in some countries you can refer to the insurers who have correspondent agreement with Croatia Insurance. The correspondent companies which cooperate with Croatia Insurance are listed at the back of the green card leaflet.